Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our first days...

After reading a terrific book over the summer (When Children Love to Learn), I have corrected a lot of the mistakes I have made in the past implementing Charlotte Mason's teaching methods. Every day now starts with reading straight from God's Word, reading a bit of poetry and every Monday morning is devoted to nature walks. We got the most adorable pocket journals for the boys to jot down notes or drawings from the nature walks. We have a long way to go with my youngest writing without a little encouragement, but we will get there eventually. I have corrected the way we implement narratives and I have stopped my "the moral of the story" speeches at the end of reading anything. The boys seem happier with the readings without my regurgitated edicts at the end. I've caught myself almost doing it a few times but with a little encouragement, I'll get there eventually. ;)

2 comments:

Silvia said...

When Children Love to Learn is the book that rekindled my desire to go back to CM and her method. It was tough to read, and at the end, where it said that CM is more than getting an education by reading quality books, gulp, I was thinking...........can I do this? So talking about doing 'things wrong', I've been there too, it's a hard feeling, but we have the ability to look forward and make corrections, that's what life is all about if you ask me. ;)

I'm enjoying both your blogs, I can't wait to meet you and the others in person, to start a friendship and a new journey together. It's the first time ever I start a group, and I'm very excited about it. Thanks for joining.

Silvia

Susannah said...

Those are weeds? Who knew? So pretty!

Just stopped by to say Hi! Blessings on your day,

e-Mom
http://chrysaliscom.blogspot.com
http://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails